Wednesday 5 February 2014

Last minute hiccup!

Julian and I drove 200km yesterday through dry rural countryside. It's so different from the more lush land further north but beautiful as ever. The people are as charming as throughout Myanmar.

When filling up with fuel at the end of the day we noticed a continuous drip, drip of oil under the car. Since I haven't put any into the engine throughout the rally I was a bit worried. I put a plastic tray under it to catch what we are loosing and as the oil cooled he dripping stopped. The mechanics told me to keep an eye on it and not to worry, so that's what I am doing.

The hotel is basic but clean, no wine, only beer which has traumatised some crews! Rallies always show initiative and some disappeared to return with more wine than we could drink. I certainly won't be bringing any home!

Dinner finished with Alastair Cauldwell sharing his views about Formula One's main characters. Very amusing but clearly not to be repeated in print. Perhaps it had something to do with the amount of wine! His car and his 96 year old navigator, as always, are running smoothly.

During todays final regularity we got 2 seconds of penalties which left us 3 seconds adrift of Roger and Maggie in 3rd position. Beaten by two 1970's Classics, a Volvo and a BMW. Not bad for a 1933 car. We've just got to finish the next couple of days and 450km and 3rd place and Class winner is ours.

Tonight we are split across two hotels, the noisy competitors are in a hotel with the crew which should be fun. Then it's into Yangon in time for tea and medals.

I've volunteered to collect for the mechanics whip round. Non contributors will be named and shamed.

I think we are on an 8 am flight on Saturday which might be testing. I cannot wait to see Al!


Sent from my slyPad

No comments:

Post a Comment